Friday 27 July 2012

Sound Art

So in the task i was given, i was told to record a sound clip of any given sort and thereafter create a piece of art or drawing related to this sound clip.
Therefore, my sound clip for this task was the sound of water running from a tap whilst music was playing in my room during the evening. I saved this sample because this was the clip that I was most familiar with and had ideas of what to do with this clip.
For my idea, i drew a tap, speakers, and flow of water with music notes to symbolize this idea I had. This is a diagram of the piece of work i had drawn and taken a photo of below :




From the above diagram you can see that the tap shows that when it is opened or turned, the 'flow' will not only be water but it will show the flow of music as well. The flow is carried upon from the tap and flows out of the speakers because speakers produce sound so this gives the 'flow' of music pattern. The lines that are shown from the speakers are of the music staff where keys and notes are placed. You can see 5 lines on each speaker and see the music note shown is the treble clef. So this is the rough idea that i had drawn and simply shows the flow of music from the clip that i recorded earlier on.


To enhance this diagram, i took this to photo to a program called Photoshop which I'm quite familiar with.
In this program, i changed the way this diagram totally totally looks like. I first inverted the image which transformed the the lightness or white parts of the picture to a black texture and the marker colors into an orangish/redish color. The reason why i had inverted this was because i had recorded this sound clip at night hence i wanted to give it that night feeling and give out the 'darkness' side on the time i worked on this. Due to also doing at night, i had placed in a few stars on the image just to give it an elegance of night. And to someone that would wonder why i had the stars in the image, I free hand drew a moon to add more detail to it.


I further added raw images to add more detail to my final image. Since i was dealing with a tap and music and water, i collected an image of a tap and also speakers that would help my image.




The above to images are what i used to transform my image. To make these images look fine and a little fixed in my final drawing, i had transformed them by warping them. Warping is a transformation in Photoshop that gives you the option to pull, size, and angle up images. So with this, i warped the speakers and tap to fit into the respective places on my image. Because these images were raw and were going to have the same texture and not blend in properly with the original images texture, i changed the blending options of the speakers to exclusion and decreased the opacity and the fill and with the tap i just changed the opacity and the fill to the desired amount.
Thereafter, i brushed some parts of the image with a blue color to give it that 'water' effect and also colored some of the water droplets with blue and filled some with treble clefs to elaborate the music part.
With all these ideas i had to add onto my pre image, this was the final image that i had finished with the add ons i had added. I also added a text with the label 'music' to show the music concept. This is the image below :


With the above image, i had finished but i know i could improve the idea of the whole work so i approached my lecturer and showed him my work and he advised me that my idea was okay but i could emphasize of the movement of the water and the sound, cleary one can get my final idea but i wanted to be more artistic and hence i came up with an abstract type of work. I drew the top of a sink with the tap and everything relevant and still maintaining the musical idea, i made the end of the tap or should i say the drainage part/hole a speaker. Then i emphasized the flow of water from the tap down to the speaker/drainage. And i maintained the musical effect by adding the staff into the flow of water and also add a few musical notes to this. Hence me coming up with a more refined piece of work.






For me this was my final idea because i had come up with my own idea and then i put it to the test and finished and then with the help of my lecturer, the understanding of the task broadened my thinking and creativity and thats what made me come up with the 'final' piece of this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment