Thursday 26 July 2012

Workable Piece Of Art

For this given task, we were asked to create a workable piece of art that was to be used or placed on our allocated studio space. We were asked to come up with ideas that make us feel comfortable and at the same time give us that comfort to work well when our comfort 'materials' or 'likes' are around us. In this task, we were told to go crazy and just do anything that comes up to you and gives you that edge to want to come to class and work without any problem.


Brainstorming these ideas was quite easy because our minds were not restricted to anything but we were allowed to do anything, silly, crazy, impossible but just creative at the same time. With that description in place, i came up with my ideas with the interests that i have as myself and these are some of the ideas i came up with.




  1. Music System
  2. Graffiti Wall
  3. Photo-shoot stands with cameras and lights
  4. McDonalds and KFC on speed dial
  5. Robot lights attached to clock and bell
  6. Headset sleep pillow
  7. Cup holder

With each of the ideas that i came up with, they were further explained as to why i had chosen the particular ideas and the reasons are explained below :


  • Music System - because of me having an interest into music and cant pass a day without listening to any type of music i decided that i will bring or have a music system on my work space so that i can enjoy the feel of music as i work.Music helps me concentrate, calm me down and also hypes me up depending what type of genre/music i listen to and thus this music system was going to help me.
  • Graffiti Wall - I love to draw and design anything on anything that i can find i can lay my creativity and so to use this skill somewhere i suggest that i should have myself a graffiti wall where i can just draw anything that i feel is on my mind and paste it up whenever i want to draw.
  • Photo-shoot - Looking clean and fresh is one thing i like to do. To keep my appearance on point is something i like and so to share this interest, i decided to have a mini photo-shoot studio where i can take pics and just feel free and admire my freshness when i dress up for the day and have a pic for that day.
  • Food on speed dial  - Food is one thing i love and hence i can not do without food, so to stop that food necessity from dying i decided to have a telephone on standby that has all the food places on speed dial so that anytime i feel hungry, that phone is not away and i can place my order.
  • Robot lights attached to clock and belll - Well with robot lights having 3 lights red, orange and green and clock telling time and bell making a signal i decided that i should have this on my working space so that when i am in class the light is on red immediately class starts and then when class is half way, the light changes from red to orange and then when class is over, the light changes to green that class is over and done! and then all this attaches to the bell that signals that it is really time up.
  • Headset pillow - i love my sleep and to have this lovable piece of art on my work space i decided to have a limited edition pillow that not only will i just lay my head on it but just incase the will be noise in class, i can jus plug in the headsets by the pillow and i wont hear all that noise and i can have a peaceful sleep.
  • Cup  - Well this is just one thing that i would love to have on my desk that will show organization. I can simply place in my pencils, pens, markers and anything necessary inside.
Now with coming choosing what i was going to come up with or choose to make and see what i was going to have on my space i had to analyze what problem or difficulties i could have with any.

  • The music system was okay because i can have my music playing around me but that would mean i will be disturbing the people around me because the music will be loud and maybe my partner doesnt like noise.
  • Graffiti wall would be cool to have but i cant break down a wall and put it on my work space, partially impossible.
  • Photo shoot equipment requires alot of space for the lights and everything that makes it a photo shoot studio
  • The telephone will need to have a telephone line and have to have a malaysian  subscriber and i will have to be paying bills at such a young age, so that will not work for me at the moment.
  • The robot lights are very huge in size and bringing one in class will be a very big site and will need alot of power to help it be on and all. The clock is workable and the bell can also be got and also workable
  • Headset pillow, buying a pillow with the headphone pieces already attached will not be there of course but i can work around that.
  • Cup idea is fine because can easily purchase one and place my stationary inside.
After analyzing how the ideas will be a problem i now i had to think of how i can make any of these work and choose that be easily worked with.

  • The music system will be included in my budget and that will need financial status to be high and increased so to make life easier, i can just purchase myself a set of headphones/earphones that can have music playing and for that maintain that effect of having the music as work.
  • I would need a bulldozer to break down a wall and place it on my space but i wouldnt need that if i can simply create a wall design on my space, i could simply draw a wall design on paper and let it be my actual 'wall' that i can place my drawings.
  • Photo shoot equipment will once again have to be on a financial budget so to save money and easily take pics whilst im on my work media, i could purchase a webcam or just use my laptop webcam that will take pictures of me. Whenever i want to take pictures of me in class, i can simply turn on my webcam and take a photo.
  • The food on speed dial with me having a telephone in class would be a great idea but because of telephone lines running throw on my desk and telephone bills, i would just use something mobile, and that being my phone. Not much a created design to make but just using on necessity i have already and how it can make life easier. I can simply have the eating places on speed dial ad deliveries can be made.
  • Robot lights are big in size and require quite an above average amount of electricity to keep them running at high performance which i cant manage at the moment and hence working with a clock and bell is what i can implement.
  • The headset pillow would be a good idea because i can get a a pillow and recycle old headsets that i can place in the pillow and have that headset pillow effect and idea i had.
  • The cup will easily be purchased.
With analysis carried out i made my choice on what i would create/use without any problems :
  1. Headsets as my music system
  2. Graffiti Wall
  3. Webcam as photo shoot
  4. Cell phone for food delivery
  5. Headset pillow
  6. Stationary holder (Cup)


The process of making/getting my material are shown here :

  • Headsets




For this, a purchase of headphones was done to have the music effect. Skull candy being my selection due to good sound produced by them.
  • Graffiti Wall 











For this, i just used paper and put them together and made an effect by bricks to give it that wall feeling.
  • Photoshoot 



Using the inbuilt High Defination webcam that my laptop has.
  • Speed dial



Hand held phone was used for this to make the process applicable.
  • Headset pillow


I got a pillow that i wasnt using anymore and i had a set of ear pieces that i wasnt using hence i recycled both materials and made the disired headset pillow.
  • Cup


Simply got a cup that was not in use and then turned it into my stationary holder.

With all the ideas that i had started from the beginning, was to safe say that i broke down from the crazy ideas that i had made in my head and then broke them down to what i would manage by analysis and then came to the making or putting these ideas to work and making them work for me.

Safe to say that my work space now makes me feel much more comfortable to work in and still have that 'entertainment' around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment