Wednesday 18 December 2013

Making Our Grid System : Part 1

After finding out more and the understanding of grid system. It was now our turn to make our own grid system with the things that influence us to make and design what we put out as designers.

So for that I had to note down what motivates me and influences me as a designer and where i get my ideas from. With that, some of my influences are listed below :


  • Music - the sound of music motivates me because it gives me the creative side of listening and then giving out an idea. It helps depict images through vocal language. Hence this for me helps me in such a way that when I have a design to do for someone, I can easily already start having ideas because i can articulate the creative side with music with a description of a wanted design.
  • Photography - this is another thing that influences me in such a way the whole idea of being able to capture moments through taking photos is eye catching. You can take exquisite photos showcasing things you want people to be amazed by. To apply this influence, i use it in my designs to have that 'wow' look. The eye/vision i have when looking at something to take a photo of is the same vision that i want/use when im doing a design. What will they people out there see? What impression will they see? Will be the amazed and like it. Therefore i use these questions to design a platform my work.
  • Games - Games are influential not only towards to designers but anyone else. This is by the fact that any game that you play and feel attached to can make you want to have that in real life. For example, a racing car game can be influential to you that you may want to start driving like that, with the drifting, high speed etc. Without knowing, you will apply these changes to your life and see. Hence this gaming influence gives me ideas to create fiction and non-fictional designs. Designs that look real life when actually not. Like applying angel wings and all that using photoshop all to give an illusion. With such thinking, it broadens my creative ideas not to think in one state but i as always use my works along this statement, 'Think Outside The Box'.
  • Typography/Text - I like the the way typography art influences me because i use this in designs where i wouldnt have to use any images but i could simply use text in a certain type of typography to come out with my designs. The typography i would see in certain designs like posters and all are what catches my eyes. Seeing retro posters e.g would have retro fonts and a style added to them. More over the playing of typography influences my designs where as i can add fonts to suit a specific design to give it more feel.

After identifying some of the things that motivated me, had to list down and see where I see a grid system in these influences. Be it invisible or visible The had to be elements where i could see this grid and then use this as a way to make a guide for my work. For that i listed examples on where i would see a grid system in each of my influences :

Music

  • Microphone
  • Keyboards/Pianos
  • Musical Staff
Photography
  • Alignment of photos
  • Framing
  • Metering
Games
  • Control pad
  • Buttons (design of a cross)
Typography
  • Posters
  • Books
  • Articles


Listing down some of these examples also helped giving me an idea of where we would SEE this grid system. These are the examples with some visuals and mind maps to explain more of how these influence design.






No comments:

Post a Comment